Some Observations from Dragon Soul
<Dark Days> tried its luck with 10-man Dragon Soul on Tuesday night, though we only had time to kill Morchok. Color combinations on Yor’sahj were not in our favor that night, and we had skipped Warlord Zon’ozz, so we’re only 1/8 before we head into 25-man this weekend (at least that’s the plan right now as far as I’m aware).
However, I decided to go back in a couple more times through the raid finder to see how I could improve my hunter progression raiding. I’ve made a couple of observations for the first four bosses, which could be helpful if you often “spec dance” (as opposed to an “aspect dance”).
Morchok (and trash)
- Boulder Smashes from Earthen Destroyers are hard to see sometimes, especially since they are swirling white things on the pale blue snow. Keep on your feet. It probably doesn’t hurt much to just be on Aspect of the Fox and run around, especially if you’re pulling two of these at the same time.
- There aren’t many trash mobs before Morchok, so Marksmanship or Beast Mastery might be a better choice than Survival here.
- As a single target fight, Morchok is more favorable for Marksmanship and Beast Mastery. If you are assigned as someone who has to take a Resonating Crystal, being in Survival will hurt because as you are moving around from crystal to crystal, you won’t have the extra Cobra Shot crit from Sniper Training often.
- Remember that you can position yourself during Black Blood of the Earth such that you can still shoot while behind a shards.
Warlord Zon’ozz (and trash)
- Once again, trash mobs favor Marksmanship and Beast Mastery because they’re static and are spread apart, so you won’t be able to do much area damage.
- Marksmanship may be the favored talent choice for this fight because of the shorter Rapid Fire cooldown, so you can activate it every time Zon’ozz goes into his diffused phase. If Rapid Fire is not ready by then, you still have Readiness.
Yor’sahj the Unsleeping (and trash)
- Survival is nice for the trash here since every pack of three globules are close together, and area damage can probably help kill them faster.
- For Yor’sahj himself, you’d probably want to go Marksmanship or Beast Mastery. When the globules form, I often use an Aimed Shot to open as Marksmanship since it can drop the globules’ health a couple of percentage points immediately after they spawn, especially with Careful Aim in effect. This should make killing your globule faster. Beast Mastery could probably use Bestial Wrath when it’s off cooldown to help as well. The amount of movement also makes this fight unfavorable for Survival in my opinion.
- If you get a black globule, put down and Explosive Trap on his feet. It will help with killing the additional mobs faster.
Hagara the Stormbinder (and trash)
- Obviously Survival will shine during Hagara’s trash because there are so many of them.
- Hagara herself is another story, however, as I think Marksmanship would be the most viable talent of choice for the fight. For some reason, my pet always dies during the storm phase when everyone is trying to connect the Lightning Conduit. At this point, I’m going to assume that pets themselves can act as a conduit, so they’re also conducting and taking damage but not receiving enough heals from just Mend Pet. I’ve not tried if Beast Mastery pets can survive this phase, but I think the amount of target switching in this fight makes the talent a less favorable choice anyway. Once again, more movement also means less time spent with Sniper Training active as Survival.
None of these observations have any scientific backing to them. They are just my gut feeling, but feel free to let me know other hunter pointers or observations any of you have made.