Tweaking for Raiding: 7/45/9
A bit over a week ago, I respecced from my solo/grouping spec into a full raiding spec because I’ve been doing a lot more raids lately. However, it wasn’t to the spec I previously recommended.
I’ve made several adjustments to the original build based on several considerations and made the following changes:
- Stamina and Health. Looking at all the hunters I raid Serpentshrine Cavern and Tempest Keep with, they have at least 9000 health. I had just over 8100. The problem is, I don’t PvP, so it’s unlikely I would reach that mark without some help. After reviewing Improved Aspect of the Hawk and Haste for marksmen, I decided to drop it for Endurance Training.
- Utility. I’ve noticed not many Beast Mastery hunters pick up Improved Hunter’s Mark, so we’ve taken things into our own hands and picked it up. (You win, Lienna.)
- Mana Efficiency. I’ve come to realize that without Efficiency, Improved Arcane Shot would consume too much mana too fast. Therefore, we’ve dropped the talent in favor of better talents.
- Downtime Management. Rapid Killing helps me manage my DPS downtime better. I’m more aware now how much time I spent repositioning and will try to start shooting before the buff ends after killing a mob.
Some preliminary results, based on several raid encounters over the past week and a half.
- Extended survivability, given full awareness of the surrounding environment, observed at Archimonde in Hyjal Summit. Most attempts, I was one the last standing after Soul Charges because I am now also over 10,000 health when fully raid buffed.
- In a melee heavy group, Improved Hunter’s Mark adds to expediency of a boss fight, observed at Maiden of Virtue in Karazhan. 3 melee players and 3 hunter pets. A fight that lasted 1 minute and 50 seconds.
- Multi-Shot does considerably more damage then Arcane Shot due to Barrage and Improved Barrage, recorded at Hydross the Unstable in Serpentshrine Cavern. 15% of damage recorded is from Multi-Shot, while 11% is from Arcane Shot, with Multi-Shot producing a critical strike 38% of the time I used the ability.
- Pet damage contribution increased by 50% after taking up Go for the Throat. Comparison between fighting Gruul the Dragonkiller and Hydross the Unstable.
- After taking up Rapid Killing, I recorded 100% activity time against trash mobs in Tempest Keep. There is no point in time during the raid when I did not contribute something.
I’m satisfied for now with my current build. Perhaps if the circumstances change, I will respec again. The Marksmanship tree is fluid and always changing according to circumstances.
Random Question to Readers
How many of you have seen [Talon of Al’ar] drop in Tempest Keep? I’ve been looking at it all day and thinking how awesome it would be for a Marksmanship rotation. My guild has never seen it drop, but we are going back in again next month for Black Temple attunements. So now I’m hoping it will drop.